Friday, July 25, 2008

Tears, by Sarah Pozzuto

This is the poem that I read this morning. Even though it is nearly two years old, it is never too late to change it. SO...comments, suggestions, whatever.

Waiting for non-existing freedom.
Trying to find hope within misery.
Suffering, pain, sadness.
Hurt because of my faith.
Hungry...cold...
Will this ever end?
It seems as though my prayers will forever be
Unanswered.
It feels like I am dead
And it is torture to be alive still.

Questions racing through my head.
Swirling through and empty nothingness
Because I am too weak to think
Properly.
Why me?
Shall I ever again go home?
Home to the house that was mine
Painted pale blue
With flowers smiling in the windowpanes
And fresh green grass covering the lawn.
There is probably a new family there,
A family that is not Jewish.
My family and I lived in that house.
Centuries ago, it seems.

Family. I hardly remember them.
Just bits and pieces,
Pieces of a puzzle that will never again
Be complete.
Mother's voice, father's laugh,
The light curly hair of a brother.
He was only two. I miss him most of all.
His sweet little face,
Pleading for food, or stories,
Or just a hand to hold.

What have they done to him?
Is he dead?
Is he alone?
Is he afraid?
Does he even remember me?
Does he remember the happy times
That we shared?
Sighing, I look up, and feel the tears
Welling up in my eyes.
They stream down my face
And fall onto the dying grass.
I soon snap back to reality.
Here, there is no time for memories,
So I look back at the work I was supposed to do.
I cannot look at the gray patch of sewing any longer.
It makes my eyes water
To stare at such tedious work for so long.
Instead, my eyes wander about the camp.
There is no beauty in this lonely place.
Death is all I see.
Yes, a few bodies,
But mostly just dead spirits.
Dreams crushed by the evil Nazis.
Hopes that will never be fulfilled.
Why did they do this to us? Why?
How dare they treat us with such cruelty!
Don't they see that we are just as worthy
Of life?
Don't they see that we are equal to them?

I glance over toward another group of people.
They look distraught and frustrated.
So does everyone here.
One is crying, and a pang of sympathy
Shoots through my heart.
Then I look again, and my heart
Is happy, for the first time
In years.

Mother? It is! I can't believe such luck!
Her hair is gray, not at all like its old, golden color
That it used to be.
I recall the times
When her mouth was curved delicately
Into a beautiful smile.
Now, there is a stern look of rebellion,
As if she were ten years old again.
But I can sense the fear that is mixed in.
She is my mother, all the same,
And I love her, despite everything.
She was so loving towards me.
I remember her laughing eyes.
Such a brilliant green, they were.
Now they are swollen from tears.
Breathing heavily with curiosity,
I make my way towards her.

Then I see it,
There, among the dead, brown grass.
The collapsed body of a child
That couldn't take it.
I see that he isn't breathing.
His face is streaked with dirt,
And sweat drenches his angelic figure.
I see his light, curly hair around his sweet little face,
And I remember that same face,
Asking for a hand to hold,
Smiling at a rabbit on the lawn,
Laughing at a funny song.
Now that face is filled with pain,
And I cry too.

I cry so that the world may see
That i am not so different
And when I am sad, there are tears.
I cry so that the Nazis can see
What they have done to me.
I cry so that my feelings rush out at once,
Mingling with the salty water.
It feels good, to cry it out.
Most of all, though, I cry
Along with those millions of others
Who have shared in my pain.
The tears of many before me,
And many to come,
Many still living,
And many here, with me, dying,
All pour out from my eyes.
I cry with the strength of a million people,
And one million people cry with me.
The Holocaust has taken us,
Broken us, injured us.
And so I cry,
But I cry with strength.

12 comments:

Sofiya said...

This is really good.I think,if you made this a story,and then added that at the beggining,it would work out.

nadia. said...

wow, when i heard this morning i was totally engulfed in it. and i can sorta make out differences (i think?) but it's an amazing thing. i really liked the whole heartbrokeness of the piece, and how at the end its not exactly happy, but hopeful.

it was a really sweet piece. :D

Ironie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joel said...

Actually, I deleted your comment...but since I'm going to reply to it, I'll repost it.

Heba wrote

Honsetly, I've read a whole bunch of poems about the Holocaust, and I've learned the theme in itself is pretty cliched. In addition, all of them follow the same format: Talking about some kind of loss (usually loved ones,) saying how misrable it is, taling about how evil the Nazi party is, and ends with some cheesy hope statement. (The first three aren't in any particular order.) your poem follows the format too. Try to make it fresh--something I've never heard before.

This poem looks unproffessional because it is ill-reasearched. You leave out things that make some statements false. You need to do more reasearch on the Holocaust as well as some science facts.

Try to make your style consistent with the theme, because I got no emotion out of this.

P.S- Critique like this is my version of constructive critisism, so you kind of have to get used to it. If this is too harsh in your opinion, please tell me about it. I'll be happy to rewrite this. I won't tag you as a bad person.


Try again Heba. This time, try a little bit of praise first. Then, anytime you mention areas in need of improvement, be specific. Vague comments like "this is cliche" or "ill-researched" are useless as they provide no direction.

Secondly, as far as I know, at least in this life, Sarah has not endured the Holocaust. Therefore, it might be a little tough to add anything fresh AND authentic.

Thirdly, the Holocaust was horrible, the Nazi's were terrible, and a statement about hope is a heck of a lot more original than one of desperation.

Fourthly, it is easy to sit on a wall and flame other writers (because that's what your post is. It is not constructive, and it is not good criticism as the comments are overly general). I haven't seen you post anything, nor have I heard you share much during writing time.

I'm sure you have a lot to offer, but negative comments masquerading as something constructive only alienates other writers. I know that's not what you are looking for.

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is Kassie, but, since I can't remember my password, I'll be "Anonymous" for now.
So, this is a beautiful poem! You are an absolutely amazing writer, and I just wish I was that good at your age (and I'm really not even a terribly wonderful writer now... I just get lucky). I absolutely love the part about the brother. It was extremely well written, and it made me feel really sad (excuse my boring vocab). That said, I think maybe you should take out a few "Holocaust"s or "Nazis"s... because most of us already knew that's what you meant, but that's just my opinion. But really, this is wonderful, and you can tell you put a lot of time into it. Dang, I wish I was that dedicated.

Ironie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Kassie again- to any commentors... people can be especially mean online, even if they don't mean to be. Just keep to basic thoughts in mind.
1.If you wouldn't say it to someone in person, don't type it.
2. Sarcasm is almost always NOT interpreted that way by the reader. If there's a chance they wouldn't know you're kidding, don't type it. Or at least say "jk" (but that's still not optimal)

Anonymous said...

I meant two... nice job, me.-kassie

Ironie said...

Okay, I'll try again (It's kind of hard getting used to it, because at my previous writing camp, critisism like that is fine):

Nice... uh... Poem? Nice word choice, although I'd try to cut them a little. Like in this example: "And it is torture to be alive still " Do you really need that "still" word?

For me, the Holocaust is something I'd stay away from. There can't be anything new in that topic. But on the bright side, your style is unique.

You might want to reasearch it better. I mean, leaving out certain things can make a statement false. For example; when you say, "A family that is not Jewish" you imply that only Jews were affected by the Holocaust, but a lot of minorities were involved too. In similar passages, you imply the same thing. You might want to reasearch a little more about the Holocaust.

Work on your style. You have to work on not saying the same thing over and over and over again in different words. You say "Holocaust" and "Nazis" to much. That will improve your style.

Uh.. I guess that's it.

P.S.- Joel, I guess it's one of my flaws, I tend to be overly-harsh without meaning to.

Cat Lady said...

Nice, I actually cried with the dead boy, call me a whimp. Good Writing gets to me like that.

Poz said...

ha dont think of yourself as a wimp, i was crying too!!! and i wrote it! i guess because it was based on my little brother. he's four now, but it still gets to me how totally in shock i would be if anything happened to him! but somebody (i can't remember who it was, some famous writing person) said, "no tears for the writer, no tears for the reader", meaning that if you don't get the emotion out of the piece, no one else will either.

Anonymous said...

That's really good.