Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Derek Speaks

Derek asked me to share his piece with all of you, since he could not access the blog himself.

Escape from the Elk Lodge."tell it like it is . . . .
Alright then.
if you insist,
woke up at eight A.M. and tried to drag
myself out of bed before church but I realized I was too tired to drive
as I'm still trying to wipe my friend's image from my eyes
and I didn't sleep at all so I
can't concentrate on a word this old man
is saying so I'm just going to fall asleep.

then a paradox and anomaly or whatever you might call it
came before my eyes cuz I watched this girl I know
take out a box of cigarettes and light up but I know
for a fact that she doesn't smoke so I decided to confront
her too bad she's not there and it's not even worth the
trouble because Pablo could've said it better so I'll stay here and shut up.

so distressed
distressed sounds somewhat like intercept
can I get a signal here

find me some receptionso after a cup of lobster bisque and some beer battered haddock
that guy looks over at me and says
"YOU
are the greatest guitarist I've ever heard." And I have to stop myself
from screaming out in pride yeah that's right I'm the greatest guitarist
this guy's ever heard and I didn't need to buy a fancy instrument or sabotage a rival's
act.

I'm walking with this knowledge just rying to recover from
a bizarre stream of consciousness and suddenly it's
nightfall and rain split
the sky and man I've never seen Clarence like this I'm
walking home and there's this other guy
who pretends like he knows me
but he doesn't
and now I'm afraid for my life.

I put on the mask I made for the performance this week
some kind of gray creature with thoroughly smooth skin
and I hear all my little friends freaking out as they talk about my
BUG EYES
my three antennae which I wish were cable antennae
which still doesn't explain why I still have no reception in a place where
phantom of the opera is a bit of an understatement because here
there are three phantoms that have been terrifying the young and old.

stream of thoughts
and anecdotes

I still have no reception.
they're all wrong
love, not necessity is the
mother of invention

but I forgot my friends
I can't sleep again.
my thoughts are moving too quick for me

arms limp
legs sore
wandered all around the town
hear it all again
see it all again
all in one long breath I'll
spout it out until my death
I think this is the way
people were meant to speak
a perfect sequence of unbridled thought fulfilled
at long last the page is filled
I could go on like this all day but I've told it like it is and you wouldn't
listen to meanyway.


Derek says to enjoy! He will be dropping by the reception, so we will see him soon :)...

3 comments:

Joel said...

Hmmm...Derek is still a member. Tell him he used his Gmail account to sign up.

Joel said...

Derek...love it. The "reception" bit plays well...social commentary or didn't pay the antennae bills?

Sofiya said...

I don't exactly get all of it,but it's good.