Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Contrast, Jen A.

Contrast is an inevitablility in life. Good and bad, light and dark, rich and poor. The difference of worlds is immeasurable. But the difference should not be feared. It should be embraced as a new experience, rather than condemned and shunned with a prejudice towards change. Contrast is the light that keeps our world, any world, interesting. As Philip Pullman said in the His Dark Materials series, "Was there really only one world that spent its time imagining others?" I'd like to expand on that. Do we imagine contrast, is it all in our heads? Or are we all the same inside?

Feedback, please?

2 comments:

Jack said...

Very Nice!

Joel said...

Interesting question. I love His Dark Materials. The different parts of your question are very abstract, and I think I'm having a bit of a hard time grasping what you mean.

If you're focusing on contrast among humans, then it really depends. I mean, there are universal elements and experiences that make us the same, just as there are experiences that make us different.

Often though, I find that perceived surface differences are often easily surmounted.